[RBS] Question about renting

The Jerenbergs batyai100 at 013.net
Wed May 9 14:17:21 IDT 2012

Have a cousin who wants to rent an apt. in Nof Ayalon. THe landlord is
asking for the following:

In addition to giving him 11 postdated checks and the first month rent, he
wants the equivalent of the entire year's rent ( yes,the entire year's rent)
as a security check which would be returned if the apt is left undamaged.(So
he will have in his hand double the amount of rent)
He also wants a blank signed check for utilities.

I haven’t rented in Israel in over 20 years, B”H. Are these normal demands?
They sound unreasonable to me. I know of giving ONE month’s rent as a
security in case of damages – not a year’s worth. And since I remember
paying my own utility bills, how can he ask for blank ones??

Would appreciate any and all input.
Batya Jerenberg