[RBS] psa: warning if you switched phone/internet providers

Riva joelriva at bezeqint.net
Mon Oct 15 15:13:31 IST 2012

Four months ago, I switched from Bezeq to Netvision, for phone and for
internet service (I actually advocated for them on this list-I now get great
internet and unlimited phone service to both cell and landlines for 99
shekels a month + 85 shekels to the Bezeq "tashtit"!). at the time of
signing up, I was told by Netvision that they would take care of canceling
my subscription to Bezeq Beinleumi, my previous internet provider. Well,
recently I got a call from Bezeq beinleumi with an offer from them for their
"customers". When I protested that I wasn't their customer for quite awhile
already, they pointed out that:

a)       I had never been canceled from their service and thus, I was paying
over 100 shekels every month for all the 4 months that I had joined
Netvision, and most importantly, that

b)      It is illegal for a phone company to cancel my service, or to even
say they will cancel my service-they have no power of attorney and it is the
"manui" who must unsubscribe themselves (which kinda makes sense, in
retrospect!) They said that this is an "aveirah p'lili".

However, when I called Netvision to confront them on this issue-and to ask
to be reimbursed for those four months of paying Bezeq Beinleumi, they
vehemently blamed BB, saying that they, Netvision, had "definitely" sent the
cancellation fax and that BB must have failed to cancel me. They also told
me that I should just be grateful that I was paying so little for my phone
and internet and that was that.

Wellllllll, I made a bit more of a stink and finally, a representative
higher up got back to me and actually realized that there was a problem
here. she promised to listen to a recording of the phone conversation where
I signed up for Netvision. She said that it was true that the representative
had promised to disconnect me, and that it was also true that I hadn't been
disconenected, and she wanted to reimburse me for those four months.

In a nutshell, if you have switched phone/internet companies, you may want
to double-check that you have really been disconnected, if that is what they
promised you. the woman at Bezeq Beinleumi told me that she gets SEVEN TO
EIGHT CALLS A DAY from irate customers wanting to know why they were never
disconnected-and not only from Netvision, from other providers as well!

And if you're a lawyer looking for a juicy class-action law suit, here's a
good one! :-)

Take care, and caveat emptor,

Riva