[RBS] Are there existing laws against hiring illegal workers?

aviva adler aviva7272 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 20:33:51 IST 2012

Dear Listers:

Are there existing laws against hiring illegal workers?

If so, let's make sure they are enforced.
If not, let's draft and work to pass new laws against hiring illegal
workers.
Make the EMPLOYERS liable; hit them with hefty fines to stop the practice.

*Let's be careful to call them "illegal workers" -- *and to avoid the use
of the term "Arabs" to refer to the illegal workers.
Many of us appear to believe the problem is Arab workers (as I do), but
truthfully, our complaint is against any illegal workers of any ethnicity
who do not belong here after work hours; who should not be sleeping at
construction sites and having access to our homes and our property. We'll
have a better chance of getting laws passed and enforced if we use
"workers" instead of "Arabs."

*Let's make noise and be heard --  *signs, rallies, petitions, YouTube &
Facebook videos posted of the illegal workers living in construction sites,
a compilation of all the neighborhood crime over the past two years -
displayed visually on a graph and disseminated on YouTube, Facebook, and
every media outlet that will post the data.   We can hold rallies outside
government offices for an increased police and Mishmar Ezrachi presence in
our neighborhood, AND we can hold well-publicized and media-covered protest
rallies at construction sites, or at the places were contractors hire
illegal workers.

*Let's videotape and disseminate on social media and local media all the
folks who HIRE illegal workers*.  --
Let's get investigative reporters to try to interview the individuals
responsible for HIRING illegal workers.  Let's investigate and publicize
their tax records and benefits coverage for these illegal employees.
*Let's both come up with solutions for dealing with the problem, AND
address the problem at its source -- * the folks who HIRE illegal workers
and who do not provide security at their construction sites to make sure
that illegal workers go home every day at the end of their work shifts and
are NOT sleeping on their construction sites.  Let's work to get the police
to drive out to the construction sites and move ouf of town all the foreign
workers who do not have vufiew righs.

*Let's post surveillance cameras and large signs -- *announcing the area is
under surveillance and suspicious activity will be reported to the police.
The signs need to be in Hebrew, Arabic, and any other language likely to be
spoken by illegal workers here.

Fake indoor/outdoor surveillance cameras cost between US $25-30 a piece on
Amazon.com -- a very inexpensive deterrent.  Real surveillance equipment is
costly but maybe we need a perimeter defense for the ramah, along these
lines:

*Magal Security
Systems*<http://israel21c.org/technology/top-ten-smart-surveillance-systems-from-israel-2/technology/dreambox-surveillance-system-from-israel-protects-american-water-supply>
*The Magal-s3.*
*Some of the ‘softest’, most vulnerable, targets for terrorists are the
ones where they can operate uninterrupted and unobserved. Take a reservoir,
for example – a body of water that sits relatively unattended and
unprotected (except for a perimeter fence), but upon which millions of
people depend. Even placing a battalion of soldiers there wouldn’t
necessarily be sufficient to protect such a large facility – not that
governments can afford to allocate those kinds of resources anyway.  One
solution that has proven successful has been perimeter detection, a
specialty of **Magal Systems* <http://www.magal-s3.com/>*, based in Yehud
in central Israel.  Magal is one of the largest outdoor, major-installation
security companies in the world, with offices in dozens of countries, which
claims 40 percent of the worldwide market for Perimeter Intrusion Detection
Systems. Using a wide range of tools – from video cameras to lasers to
microwave sensors and more – all controlled by automated software that can
instantly alert those in charge, Magal is keeping safe thousands of
sensitive sites and tens of millions of people.*

I'm sure there are a lot of options out there for surveillance equipment
(real or fake) and I'm sure we can find someone to create "neighborhood
under surveillance" signs for us relatively inexpensively.

*Let's identify the owners of the construction projects, as well as their
construction companies, and go after them -- to enforce the law and to hold
them accountable to the law (all the better is the law includes financial
penalties).  *

*Let's develop counter-marketing materials:   *
*"Did you know the property you're purchasing was built by illegal
workers,and that during the construction phase of your property, home
invasion burglaries and property theft increased by X-percent?" *

*OR how about *

*"Your piece of property -- built illegally at the expense of your
neighbors' peace of mind."*

I'm sure there are lots of other great ideas out there.  It is way past
time to fight back, before another family is victimized.

Ko tuv,
  Aviva
  RBSA resident