[RBS] A balanced analysis of the upcoming primary for Mayor of Beit Shemesh

Catriel Email Acct clev at actcom.com
Sun Aug 4 22:13:59 IDT 2013

Shalom to All,

As a voter who has not yet decided who to back, if the survey to decide
between Eli Cohen and Aliza Bloch actually calls me, I feel that when I
look at this Email, the subject, "A balanced analysis..." is totally
incorrect because there is practically nothing balanced about the
"analysis" in the Email. Unfortunately, this has characterized very many
of the Emails on the lists about which candidate is "objectively"
better, and I would like to examine this particular Email to give an
example of how people writing about the mayoral race have been promoting
their own rather one-sided opinions for each of the candidates as
"objective" and "balanced" analyses of the situation.

In my opinion, all that this Email proves is that Shlomo Walfish
supports Eli Cohen; but I do not find any convincing reasons for anyone
else to support Eli Chen in the Email.

Shlomo Walfish, like the rest of us, certainly has the right to his
opinion and to publicize that opinion, but I think it behooves us all to
avoid calling a one-sided presentation of opinions, with no true
analysis of all of the facts and possibilities, a "balanced analysis";
and I will explain and give some examples.

In the "Qualification" section (#1): What makes Aliza Bloch's 15+ years
of experience in our city, which includes much personal contact with
citizens through being a school principal, not good enough to qualify to
be mayor? Eli Cohen's double amount of experience in Bet Shemesh, much
of which while working outside of the city, does not appear to make him
more qualified. In my opinion, a truly balanced analysis would evaluate
the time period in our city of both candidates as enough to make a good
mayor, without preference to one over the other.

Also with regard to the positions which each of the candidates have
held, even though Eli Cohen has held "bigger" positions, this does not
prove that Aliza Bloch's positions have not given her enough experience
and savvy to be mayor. More important for success as a mayor than
holding a significantly "big" position, in my opinion, is having the
managerial, interpersonal, and political experience which one also
acquires as a principal for more than a decade (and please don't be so
naive as to tell me that there are no politics in our educational system).

As far as allegiance goes (in section #2), the fact that a candidate has
the support of national parties for his/her candidacy for mayor has both
advantages and disadvantages to it (as has been discussed elsewhere),
but the Email below lists only negative comments about this support.
With such exaggerated and unsupportable statements as "it is blatantly
obvious where the loyalty of each candidate lays", and "This is a
conflict of interest and means that she must show loyalty to people and
parties that do not live in Beit Shemesh, and quite frankly have no
vested interest in it's (sic.) future and growth", and the insinuations
that having national support must show that Aliza Bloch does not have
the interests of the local Bet Shemesh at heart, this mail simply
"shoots itself in the foot"! The assumptions stated as fact with no
supporting evidence do not at all support the claim of "balanced
analysis"! They are neither balanced, nor even an analysis, but just a
statement of a person's opinion without supporting evidence.

The fact that a national party leader wants a certain popular local
party activist to run for mayor does not prove anything other than that
the national leader feels that his party could win the election in Bet
Shemesh because of the popularity of that activist. Almost all parties,
both in Israel and the USA have national and local factions, and they
each influence each other in the natural course of events. I believe
that we need electoral reform to gain direct representation of the
citizens (through district representatives) in the Knesset, but this
does not affect the connection between national and local politics as a
whole.

Similarly with many claims throughout the Email - everything appears
biased, from the start, toward choosing Eli Cohen.

I even agree that the decision of several politicians associated with
parties supporting Aliza Bloch, to declare support for Eli Cohen is a
courageous step, exhibiting independence of thought. However, thoughit
may indicate that these politicians feel conscientiously that Eli Cohen
will make a much better mayor (even though some of them did receive at
least conditional promises of positions if Eli Cohen wins), it is still
just an expression of opinion, not a proof that Eli Cohen will make a
better mayor.

I, once again, simply request from supporters of each candidate to
refrain from hyperbole and to provide the public with substantiatable
arguments in favor of their candidates.

Please remember that, after the survey is completed, we must all unite
around the winner and help him/her become the next mayor of Bet Shemesh.

Bivrachah,

Catriel Lev-כתריאל לב
Ramat Bet Shemesh, ISRAEL-רמת בית שמש
Mobile Phone: 050-205-7867 :טלפון נייד