[RBS] followup on psa about nurofen liquid

Riva Pomerantz joelriva at 013net.net
Thu Mar 21 21:36:56 IST 2013

This was sent to me by someone with a lot more information than I was aware
of.

*         The omission of Nurofen from the approved list is not because it
is not produced in Israel. In fact, it is considered to be unacceptable for
Pesach on the list of the London Beth Din. See here
http://www.kosher.org.uk/documents/Medicines.pdf. They do not deem a
medication unacceptable if it merely contains kitniyot.

*         Many medications contain wheat-based glucose. (See
http://www.kosher.org.uk/documents/2013Medicines_000.pdf) A celiac sufferer
is allowed to use wheat-based glucose since the chemicals break down the
gluten. (See
http://surefoodsliving.com/2008/09/is-glucose-syrup-gluten-free/ for
example.) However, it may still be considered chametz.

*         The equivalent to Nurofen is Advil. On the latest list of Rabbi
Bess which is approved by the Star-K, Advil syrup (all flavors) is
acceptable for Pesach. See here http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/Late2013.pdf.
Advil syrup is available here.  We just bought some.