[RBS] JFS BULLETIN BOARD, May 2013

JFS office at jfsisrael.org
Sat May 11 21:03:29 IDT 2013

*/THE CARE AND FEEDING OF YOUR BRAIN:/
Oh boy.  Another DSM coming out!  That's the book that mental health
professionals use to prove pathology and to get paid by insurance
companies, in the industry of mental health care.

Science Daily has reviewed a major change in the new edition -- but
reading their description of the differences, quite frankly, leaves one
as unhelped as ever.

The new and "improved" Diagnostic and Statistical Manual has neither
diagnoses nor statistics in it.  More like descriptions and shifting
views on norms.  What it does have is a power "mafia" at the helm, who
convene off and on for years at a time, to "improve" mental health and
illness care.  How do they do this?  By amending the book, of course.
 From what, to what?  Well, that's a tricky explanation.

They talk about labels a lot.  They "improve" them.  How do we know they
get improved?  Because the committee for improvement tells us so.  One
big problem with that, however, and y'all better listen up:

MENTAL HEALTH CARE IS NOT ALWAYS IMPROVING, NOR ARE OUTCOMES BEING
CREATED BY THE BOOK (DSM).  In fact, mental illness rates are SOARING.
Something harmful or at least not helpful is going on.

Our agency uses these diagnostic "codes" only when it is completely
necessary -- usually in the rare case of insurance coverage.  That's the
way the system developed.  But to use them for more than that?  Wow, a
colossal danger to human hearts, souls, and futures.

Labels do not help.  Scientifically researched tools do sometimes help.
Lab tests can help.  Simple positive goal setting can help.  And
rebalancing brains that are out of balance chemically or neurologically
can also help.  Not with medications (sometimes approved after falsified
research) and more likely with foods or pills selected to nourish the
body's own natural "pantry" of minerals, proteins, vitamins, and
bacteria.  The body usually knows what to do, if the ingredients are
ample and the circuitry is functioning.

But what almost never helps is the voo-doo lingo of the mental health
"profession".  Look out, and don't believe that your power and health
reside in long payment of high fees to someone who may not actually
operate in the realm of researched bottom lines.

Buyer Beware applies robustly in the business of mental health
services.  And it is up to you, the fee payer, to demand results and to
demand real answers.

/WHAT'S AVAILABLE IN JFS SERVICES/:
We listen to your definition of the "problem", and we're willing to hear
also the impression of others, such as a spouse, school, or other close
party.  We look closely to see what's really happening, and to explore
what else might be going on, in addition.  Then we give tests as needed,
to pinpoint actual information that might be important, such as mineral
levels in the blood, allergies, and more.

We give warm and competent support from the first entry into our care --
but we also don't give you one "therapist" and that's that.  We analyze
your details, and we schedule appointments with the various staff people
who offer very specific kinds of help.

Clients are taken real care of, with devotion and with cutting edge
knowledge of science study outcomes.  Most people feel they have entered
a Prime Mental Health Spa.  Without the Spa price tag!

*/SUPPORT GROUPS AND CLASSES/*:
Please join one of our support groups or classes.  They are easy,
enjoyable, and very helpful.
Topics include:
*

    * *Living With Loss (bereavement support)*
    * *Empty Spaces (going through transitions)*
    * *Marriage Boot Camp for Wives (how to divorce-proof your marriage)*
    * *Weight Management for Health*
    * *Mood Management and ESR (emotional self regulation)*
    * *Single Moms
      *

*
Email for more information on how JFS can deliver good things to your
family!
*

--
Jewish Family Services
Your Agency for Therapy and Social Work Services

02.999.9330
email:  office at jfsisrael.org