[RBS] friday nights and alcohol

Phil'n'Chanie Rosenfelder philnchanie at gmail.com
Wed May 29 08:00:11 IDT 2013

Translated from the Hebrew list, Message from Shmuel (Mooly) Bar Shai:

2013/5/29 mooly bar-shai <moolybs at yahoo.com>

> **

Shalom Everyone
In the last few  months, on Friday nights, the local parks are full of kids
of all ages, from ALL "groups", speaking all languages.  And while things
are generally okay, in the last few months, Sayeret Horim volunteers have
reported groups of teens and young adults drinking alcohol out in the open.
 (NB - even for people of legal age, drinking outdoors is illegal from 11pm
through 6:30am).
There is no "that group" or "that type" that drinks, and everyone who is
out at night is exposed to the free alcohol usage.  For those who simply
"trust their kids," I (Molly) quote:  "ashrei ha'ish mefahed tamid."

While the police may step up their patrols, this is not really a solution,
as it is easy to hide when the cops are coming - there are enough dark
corners available.

Possible solutions include Parental involvement and initiative.
Any parent (or other concerned adult) can just go for a walk and keep an
eye out.  There are many adults who do this on their own initiative,
including many Anglos.
One can also join the Sayeret Horim (Ed. note: we get training, and we are
insured).  This is a very desirable option.
There are some excellent initiatives such as Gil Kersanti's youth club, at
which adults can volunteer to supervise groups of kids in healthy activity.

The common denominator to all these ides is Parental Involvement and
Presence - parents need to be Out There, seeing what their kids are doing.
Thinking that "my kids know the rules and won't do anything stupid", simply
strengthens the hold of  the alcohol and its sidekicks.   (Ed.  note - kids
are often attracted to the drinking because the other users seem to be "the
only people who really care about me, who accept me for who I am.")

>From our years of experience in the Sayeret Horim, we have seen at the kids
are WONDERFUL and they appreciate that the adults out there are truly
interested in them and can help them.

To join the Sayeret , please contact mooly (email at the top), us , or
David Semana (semana211 AT hotmail . com).
 We specifically need for more anglos.