[RBS] Achdut or Divisiveness? Ahavat Chinam or Sinat Chinam- you choose- Message from Eli Cohen

רינה הולנדר, עו''ד holrena at zahav.net.il
Mon Sep 30 18:43:32 IDT 2013

This morning we all awoke to find a very troubling elections flyer in our
postboxes. The contents of this flyer is  a complete lie, consisting of
libelous accusations. This is, of course, distressing on its own. But what
distressed me even more is that this flyer is being circulated by supporters
of the mayor. Bet Shemesh is such a diverse city, and could serve as an
outstanding example for Achdus and ahavat chinam among all of the different
kehillot. But instead of leading the communities towards that wonderful
goal, the campaign being run by the mayor's supporters, and this flyer in
particular, is causing even more and more hatred and sinat chinam. I hope
that the mayor will publicly rebuke the people behind this flyer, and behind
the other online articles along the same line, and instruct his supporters
to send out messages of Achdut and positiveness instead.

I have been a part of Eli Cohen's campaign for the past months , running on
his list, and have worked closely with him. Eli has very strong Emunah and
deeply religious values. He would never support public chillul shabbos in
Bet Shemesh as suggested by the Abutbol campaign over the past few days.
More importantly, Eli's message is one of true unity, and of a wish that Bet
Shemesh will be a shining example of how Jews of all types can live together
in peace and harmony.

Following is a translation of a  message posted by Eli on his official
Facebook page, in response to the above flyer:

During the last few days we have all become exposed to a campaign of
division, addressed both to the community at large and to me personally.  In
the picture I have attached, you can see messages of slander and libel which
were distributed just now.

Let us say clearly:  We will not be afraid and we won't be frightened! Five
years of the sowing of hatred and fear between populations by the Abutbol
administration was apparently not enough for the Mayor! In the height of his
term of office, just a few days before the citizens of the city will go to
the polls to replace him, the Abutbol Bet Medrash has chosen to embark on a
false campaign of negativity,  accusing me of religious hatred and a desire
to turn Bet Shemesh into a non-Jewish city.

Abutbol and his people are showing their stress! They know that a great deal
of the City's residents, including many who until recently were supporters,
are tired of living in a city run in such an unprofessional manner, and
which has tumbled in five years to a level lower than anybody ever imagined
was possible.

Abutbol, your threats and fear-mongering will not work!  We will continue in
our campaign to bind together all the sectors of our city - Charedim, Dati
Leumi, Mesoratim, and Chiloni - to transform the quality of life in Bet
Shemesh into a positive example for all of Israel!

Eli Cohen

Rena Hollander

Rena Hollander, Advocate and Notary
Hollander& Hollander Law Office