Migrating from Windows to Linux: missing hebrew-english dictionary

Arie Skliarouk skliarie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:42:18 IDT 2009

A summary of received answers so far:

opendict-plugins-lingvosoft (courtesy of Baruch Siach)
It is a plugin for opendict, that for each word connects to the lingvosoft
website to get the translation. The lingvosoft website has online
dictionaries which the plugin probably uses:
http://www.lingvosoft.com/English-Hebrew-Dictionary/
While english to hebrew translation works, the reverse is not true. I have
not managed to use hebrew->english translation even from the online pages.

kbabeldict (courtesy of Dotan Cohen)
The application does not exist in ubuntu. Moreover it is not general use
translation software, but rather an specialized dictionary designed to
assist translators to translate application strings.

babylon firefox plugin (courtesy of Tomer Cohen)
It adds an input window on toolbar and when you type in your word, it
redirects you to a page on babylon site. Also there is no hebrew->english
translation in sight.

In addition I have also found free dictionaries for stardict:
http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php
But they are ridiculously small, with 3100 entries in english->hebrew and
2401 entries in Hebrew->english dictionaries

So far I see no acceptable solution... Makes me sad.

--
Arie