ot: isps

Rafi Gordon rafigordon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:36:11 IDT 2009

Hi,
>first i thought of trying the cellular companies. any experience with them ? are they
I have a question regarding the cellular companies internet service:

I heard that some cellular companies installed a blocking mechansim
for their intenet clients
which is called DPI.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpi

AFAIK, this DPI can block voip application like Skype. And indeed one
of the main usages of the DPI is to block VOIP traffic for celleular
mobile clients who use
skype. I believe that the same is for skype on the desktop.
(I mean that the cellular company blocks it)
For me, using skype is mandatory; so if an internet cellular company
avoids it, I don't want it service.
There is an ongoing trial agains some 3G cellular company in the US
about this; and also some comapnies try to organize against this
blocking in the EU.
My question is: did anyone tried to use Skype (or other voip
application) with a cellular comapany intenet service ? did it work?
did he encounter any difficulties ? I apprecaite if anybody who know
about the status of DPI in cellullar companies in Israel will
share his knowledge.
Regards,
Rafi Gordon