Google Chrome vs. Firebox or good old Internet Explorer?

Micha michf at post.tau.ac.il
Sat Dec 26 02:02:15 IST 2009

On 25/12/2009 23:29, Uri Even-Chen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I tested all 3 browsers (Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer)
>>> with Gmail, and the fonts look best with Internet Explorer!  The fonts
>>> in Google Chrome and Firefox don't look good, I can't explain it but
>>> the fonts in Internet Explorer look better!
>>
>> Turn on anti-aliasing for all programs. This is a known issue in Windows.
>
> Sorry, I don't know how to do that.  I'm stuck with the default.  But
> I think the programmers themselves (of Google Chrome and Firefox)
> should have taken care of this issue.

It's not something that the programmers can control in this case. Its a fuck
with the shitty piece of software called windows.

>>>   I think they should
>>> improve Google Chrome and Firefox, I have problems with other websites
>>> and not only my bank.  It's bad, websites should work well with all
>>> browsers but the web developers don't bother to test them!  It's much
>>> cheaper to test only with Internet Explorer and ignore the rest.  But
>>> I prefer Internet Explorer, I will not switch to another browser if
>>> the fonts don't look good, I don't hear anything when clicking links
>>> etc.  I'm not the usual end user who doesn't know how to install new
>>> browsers, I tested 3 browsers and chose Internet Explorer!  Maybe in 5
>>> years I will change my mind, maybe not.  Today I think Internet
>>> Explorer is the best browser.  I wouldn't recommend anything else to
>>> others!
>>>

>> Other than the fonts (which you can fix by turning on anti-aliasing)
>> and the clicking sound (which an addon fixes), what other advantages
>> does IE have? I personally like IE 8 when I use Windows, but I find
>> Firefox even better. This is a serious question.
>
> My bank (hapoalim) website does not look good in Firefox and Google
> Chrome.  Other websites as well. IE is installed automatically on any
> computer with Windows, this helps when you get used to it and it's
> installed on public computers around the world.  If I use a public
> computer when travelling, chances are I'm using IE.  I tried Firefox
> and Google Chrome, for example with Gmail, and I think they are less
> good than IE.

Israely banks are notorious for horrible site design practices.

As for IE around the world, I ran into more and more computers running linux. I
also always traver with a portable version of firefox and thunderbird on a usb
disk (Actually also skype for those windows computers that don't have it
installed). Greatly reduces the risk of password theft (those computers around
the world are usually set to store passwords and such).

Personally, I introduced my wife to firefox and since then she refuses to touch
Microsoft, she just stopped using any sites that don't support it.

And now that Leumi has a iphone app we don't need explorer even for that.

>>> Sorry, I can't.  I have files in Excel and Word, they never look the
>>> same with Open Office, and I'm using them.
>>
>> If you have non-confidential files that look different in OOo, please
>> send them to me so that I could file a bug and improve OOo. Thanks.
>
> Sorry, my files are confidential.  But I'm not using Open Office, I
> have a version of Microsoft Office on my computer and I'm used to it.

My condolences

> I suppose I can convert my Word and Excel files to Open Office if I
> want to, but my Access software will have to keep running on Microsoft
> Access&  Windows.  I wrote this software for the company I work for,
> Pazgal, since 1996 and until now.  It has about 80 forms, 40 reports
> and more than 200 queries, 80 tables and a lot of Visual Basic code.
> If I were to write this program again in a new platform, it would take
> me years!  And I don't know which platform can replace Microsoft
> Access.

Access is one of the worst databases around. sql is a much better choice,
although I'm not a database person so I can't recomend environments. Visual
basic is also pure crap in my opinion, but I guess I'm as biased against
Microsoft as you are for it.

Each time I touch word (usually to change one equation in an exercise file or
solution) I regret it and end up copying the entire file to latex as it takes me
less time than to make it presentable with word.

>>>   And Access - I don't know
>>> about any alternative to Access.  I'm stuck with Windows.

Like I said, sql, but it will require converting the software to something that
is not junk.