Google Chrome vs. Firebox or good old Internet Explorer?

Uri Even-Chen uri at speedy.net
Sat Dec 26 02:48:47 IST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Micha <michf at post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

>>> Turn on anti-aliasing for all programs. This is a known issue in Windows.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't know how to do that.  I'm stuck with the default.  But
>> I think the programmers themselves (of Google Chrome and Firefox)
>> should have taken care of this issue.
>>

> It's not something that the programmers can control in this case. Its a fuck
> with the shitty piece of software called windows.

Why?  I don't think there is anything a good programmer can't do.  If
they want they can do it.

>>> Other than the fonts (which you can fix by turning on anti-aliasing)
>>> and the clicking sound (which an addon fixes), what other advantages
>>> does IE have? I personally like IE 8 when I use Windows, but I find
>>> Firefox even better. This is a serious question.
>>
>> My bank (hapoalim) website does not look good in Firefox and Google
>> Chrome.  Other websites as well. IE is installed automatically on any
>> computer with Windows, this helps when you get used to it and it's
>> installed on public computers around the world.  If I use a public
>> computer when travelling, chances are I'm using IE.  I tried Firefox
>> and Google Chrome, for example with Gmail, and I think they are less
>> good than IE.
>>

> Israely banks are notorious for horrible site design practices.
>
> As for IE around the world, I ran into more and more computers running
> linux. I also always traver with a portable version of firefox and
> thunderbird on a usb disk (Actually also skype for those windows computers
> that don't have it installed). Greatly reduces the risk of password theft
> (those computers around the world are usually set to store passwords and
> such).
>
> Personally, I introduced my wife to firefox and since then she refuses to
> touch Microsoft, she just stopped using any sites that don't support it.
>
> And now that Leumi has a iphone app we don't need explorer even for that.

>>> If you have non-confidential files that look different in OOo, please
>>> send them to me so that I could file a bug and improve OOo. Thanks.
>>
>> Sorry, my files are confidential.  But I'm not using Open Office, I
>> have a version of Microsoft Office on my computer and I'm used to it.
>>

> My condolences
>
>> I suppose I can convert my Word and Excel files to Open Office if I
>> want to, but my Access software will have to keep running on Microsoft
>> Access&  Windows.  I wrote this software for the company I work for,
>> Pazgal, since 1996 and until now.  It has about 80 forms, 40 reports
>> and more than 200 queries, 80 tables and a lot of Visual Basic code.
>> If I were to write this program again in a new platform, it would take
>> me years!  And I don't know which platform can replace Microsoft
>> Access.
>>

> Access is one of the worst databases around. sql is a much better choice,
> although I'm not a database person so I can't recomend environments. Visual
> basic is also pure crap in my opinion, but I guess I'm as biased against
> Microsoft as you are for it.

Yes, I hate Visual Basic, and I worked years in Visual Basic and
access.  I want to start working in other programming languages, such
as Java or C++ or Python.  But the problem is I can't find work in
Java or C++ where I don't have experience.  I hate Microsoft, I hate
their software, but I admit some of their software is better than
their competition.  I tried Open Office and I don't like it, I prefer
Microsoft Office instead.  Maybe we should start a new open source
project for office, Open Office is 150MB which is far too much to
download.  I wish Microsoft will go bankrupt, I hate monopolies and I
hate Microsoft.  Maybe Google will come up with better solutions,
until then I'm stuck with Microsoft!