OFFTOPIC: Re: Hebrew spam: what to do about it?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Feb 9 08:25:29 IST 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 09:18:13PM -0800, Aviram Jenik wrote:

>to get 1,000 NIS for every incoming hebrew spam. Think about it as a gift
>from a stranger. The process is documented on the isoc site (link was given
>in some other post in this thread). Remember you have to prove very little
>(that you got the spam) while they have to prove a lot (that you gave them
>permission to send you spam. They need to actually PROVE it).

Well, I find that hard to believe. You will eventually have to prove
that you received the SPAM from them. and that you did not alter it in
any way.

All they have to do is ONCE send a judge a SPAM email from someone else,
and the whole house of cards collapses.

It was very common to forge usenet headers on April 1st, and forging
email headers is even easier.

You would also have to prove, under penalty of perjury, that the email
in your folder did not have anything added, deleted or changed.

Eventually someone less honest than you will do exactly that, create a
fake set of emails from someone else to make them pay.

I've heard of cases, in Israel, falling apart due to one typo on a
report header.

You IMHO should be glad that you live in Israel, from my limited
understanding of US law, saving the emails with the intention of
collecting money and suggesting that others do too, instead of notifying
the sender when you got the first one, may subject you to prosecution
under the RICO act.

Geoff.