Overzealous RBL blocks entire bezeqint range.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Feb 10 09:03:52 IST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 07:41:38AM +0200, Ira Abramov wrote:

>As much as I hate spam, I think this RBL is a tiny bit out of sync with
>the universal definition of "sane".

A mailing list I am on lost most of its membership because they have
an anti-SPAM device called a baraccuda who used a metric called
"barracuda reputation" to block Israeli email.

I for example, use a connection on Netvision to send email using
an authorized, encrypted connection to a server in the U.S. which
forwards my email. DNS lookups for MX records resolve to that server,
not my netvision connection.

Sendmail logs the fact that it originates on my system and the barracuda
followed the trail, and found that my mail originated from a cable modem
pool in Netvision. According to Netvision, mail DIRECTLY from these
IPs should be blocked, but mail from them via authorized servers
should be allowed.

I complained, using GMAIL, I could not even send email to complain, and it
was "fixed" by the list provider. Then a new release would be autoloaded
and it would start over again. By the third time everyone stopped posting
to the list except for the few people on gmail and yahoo. :-(

The list went from over 100 postings a day, to around 100 postings a month.

Geoff.