Setting up a PBX for Israel<->US communication

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:04:07 IST 2009

OK,

So I've setup CentOS 5.2 on Xen VPS at VPSLink, compiled latest
Asterisk (1.4.23) very smoothly according to the instructions at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/CentOS+5+and+Asterisk+1.4.x+installation
up to and including the "asterisk -vvvv...vvvc" and "stop now". Also
installed the rest of the addons.

Only deviation I see is that I setup MySQL not to listen on TCP
sockets. Other then that I copied all the config bits from that page
to the corresponding files.

Now what?

How do I test this?

I have a Nokia E71 with a built-in SIP client which I'd like to
connect to this thing.

I'd like to have Israeli, a Brazilian and possibly temporarily an
Australian number which will ring on my phone.

Going to didww.com I'm not sure what should I look for - "Phone to
VOIP" or "Phone to IP-PBX"? both options cost $US10 a month, I don't
see an option to pick the allegedly cheaper 077 numbers.

Anything beyond about $5/month makes this possibly uneconomical, as
for the long term I don't spend that much on international calls and
Skypeout subscription can provide unlimited calls for 5 euro/month
(for minimum of three months). (We have 4000 free Skype minutes from
our mobiles so Skypeout is very convenient to call from wherever we
are).

Thanks,

--Amos