Setting up a PBX for Israel<->US communication

Arik Baratz list+linuxil at arik.baratz.org
Thu Feb 12 14:14:59 IST 2009

2009/2/12 Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com>:

> How do I test this?

Write an extensions file and use http://www.didww.com/service_did.php
to test DIDs for free.

> I have a Nokia E71 with a built-in SIP client which I'd like to
> connect to this thing.

Set up the credentials in sip.conf and connect from the Nokia, verify
you can register and you can see the registration.

> Going to didww.com I'm not sure what should I look for - "Phone to
> VOIP" or "Phone to IP-PBX"? both options cost $US10 a month, I don't
> see an option to pick the allegedly cheaper 077 numbers.

Indeed, it is gone from their screen. A mistake perhaps? Try emailing
sales at didww.com. Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with DIDWW in any way
other than being a happy customer.

> Anything beyond about $5/month makes this possibly uneconomical, as
> for the long term I don't spend that much on international calls and
> Skypeout subscription can provide unlimited calls for 5 euro/month
> (for minimum of three months). (We have 4000 free Skype minutes from
> our mobiles so Skypeout is very convenient to call from wherever we
> are).

For me it's not about my cost, it's about the (perceived) cost of
people who call me. This way I can have people call an Israeli number
to get at me and they know they don't pay much.

Plus don't dis the geek factor...

-- Arik