Cell net use at home

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Tue Feb 17 11:08:18 IST 2009

Hi,

As a follow-up to Geoff's post the other day about using one of the
cell providers' offerings for home internet access, I thought I'd post
this device...

http://www.option.com/en/products/products/wireless-routers/x1/about/#start

A cell-to-wifi/ethernet router.  I'd buy one if they were available.
I wonder how long until an Israel cell provider offers one?

Also, the Cellcom pricing Geoff mentioned is no longer the same.  They
have 3 modems available, with the price folded into the service cost.
2 of them are 129/month and the third is 139, including service and
modem.  They now require an 18-month contract, and the small print
says traffic is unlimited from a mobile computer.  I'm not sure they'd
be happy with me, running bittorrent 24/7 :)

Also, has anyone had success with VoIP over one of these connections?

--sambo