Cell net use at home

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Feb 17 11:41:08 IST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:08:18AM +0200, sammy ominsky wrote:

>As a follow-up to Geoff's post the other day about using one of the
>cell providers' offerings for home internet access, I thought I'd post
>this device...

Thanks, I was wondering if there was such a thing. I was going to ask,
but never "got a round to it". :-)

>http://www.option.com/en/products/products/wireless-routers/x1/about/#start

>A cell-to-wifi/ethernet router.  I'd buy one if they were available.
>I wonder how long until an Israel cell provider offers one?

http://www.betelecom.co.il/?page_id=8

Anyone want to call and see if they actually sell them?

I wonder if one can hack a WiFi router with a custom linux distro to do
it, had a USB port? Is there such a thing as a Linksys newer version
of the WRT54GL with a USB port?

>Also, the Cellcom pricing Geoff mentioned is no longer the same.  They
>have 3 modems available, with the price folded into the service cost.
>2 of them are 129/month and the third is 139, including service and
>modem.  They now require an 18-month contract, and the small print
>says traffic is unlimited from a mobile computer.

Ok, does that mobile computer have to be moving? Can I get a cheap laptop
and sit it on a shelf?

> I'm not sure they'd   be happy with me, running bittorrent 24/7 :)

I've given up on bittorrent 24/7. I now get most of what I did on
bit torrent via streaming video, which I'm sure puts a bigger load
on the connection. What I do download is software distros, which can
be fairly large (I go for the DVD ROM versions).

Note the Orange deal I had mentioned was for LANDLINE ISP service and
VoIP phone service over that landline connection. If it had included
minutes you could share with your cell phone, it would be a real bargain,
but it's not.

Geoff.