Fw: Re: Webcam installation

Moshe Brace using Yahoo mbrace700 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 13:19:01 IST 2009

--- On Tue, 27/1/09, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:
From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il>
Subject: Re: Webcam installation
To: mbrace700 at yahoo.co.uk
Date: Tuesday, 27 January, 2009, 8:03 PM

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 18:52:35 Moshe Brace using Yahoo wrote:
> Because if possible I would  like help in solving the  problem on
> installing my web camera.

That's fine. But if you send this message to a mailing list, there will be
more people who can help you. See:

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/telux/lecture-notes/w2l-2007-how-to-ask-qs.odp

> I suppose that  I should have sent this e-mail to
> the forum.

Yes, you should have.

> I also thought that is a very interesting subject for
> discussion. I have not learnt how to compile the download which is sitting
> on my desktop.Thanking you in advanceMoshe

OK. Send it to Linux-IL (
http://www.hamakor.org.il/mailing-lists/linux-il.html ) and then other people
and I will be able to help you.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Install
> > procedure. I rack my brains wondering how to do it. I open the
Console
> > Control Pane sit there thinking how it's done. Yes I know that
the
> > Applications that are .rpm will be installed more or less
automatically.
> > However, here is the crunch: I have a Web Cam which I downloaded from
> > the Internet a driver for it from the Frenchman who makes drivers. I
> > installed the CIF Single Chip PAC Pixart type camera in the Mandriva
> > 2008.1 Spring Edition although the colouring of the picture was
Magenta
> > it did work. Under Mandriva recommendation I upgraded to 2009.1, hey
> > presto doesn't recognise it and what's more Skype says it
>
> doesn't exist.
>
> > I bet that I'm not the only person that has this problem and
can't

> solve
>
> > it. Someone wrote in a forum obtain the source. I downloaded the file
it
> > sits nicely on the Desktop, and that's where it remains. I
don't

> know
>
> > how to compile or install from an extracted tar.gz The console says
> > me what folder or the such. My desktop is /moshe/desktop
> >
> > I look at all the written forums and just don't know how to
continue.
> > This is a major drawback to Linux. I had thought of using Wine, but
> > likewise it just says debug Yes or No and crashes the Windows
installed
> > driver Amcap.
> >
> > I got this reply in www.linuxquestions.org
> > <http://www.linuxquestions.org/>  But I really don't know
how to

> do
>
> > this:
> >
> > the fix is this I have a pixart and the new kernel with the
gspca_main
> > driver that comes with the new kernel is limited so what I did was
make
> > sure you have all the stuff to compile with.
> > and go to you /lib/modules/uname -r/ kernel/drivers/usb/media and cut
> > and paste the gspca_main for safe keep.. then go here
> > http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html
> > <http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html>  if there is one for
2009 get

> it
>
> > or other wise get the source and do a make and make install. reboot
and
> > your fixed. do not ask me why the 2.6.24 kernel had know problem but
the
> > 2.6.27 and up have a new /usb/media file loaction. all will be well.
if
> > you can compile. other wise find an rpm that matches your kernel.
> >
> > Yours
> > Moshe

What does "Zionism" mean? - http://xrl.us/bjn8u

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you
trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)