Setting up a PBX for Israel<->US communication

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sat Jan 31 11:39:06 IST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:49:34PM -0500, Ori Berger wrote:
> Least year, there was a thread discussing set up of an asterisk system,
> which included a description by Arik Baratz (see e.g.
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il/msg52213.html> and
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il/msg52276.html>)
>
> I am planning to set up something similar, and before I embark, wanted
> to ask anyone on the list if they have anything to add to that
> discussion. From looking around, it seems that:
>
> - VPSLink is still the cheapest VPS host at $8/month (or $80/year) for
>   64MB of memory. It seems like the OpenVZ package is better suited
>   than the Xen package, being less resource intensive. And from past
>   experience I would bet on Debian -- however, can anyone here share
>   their experience (Arik?). Will "apt-get install asterisk" be enough,
>   or will I have to compile everything myself?

The package in Lenny, yes.

While there are no official backports for Etch, I have some unofficial
ones.

But then again, if you have a new system at this stage, Lenny is
something to consider.

I'm not sure that this package will provide you enough resources if you
intend to use more than a minimal installation (more than 1-2 concurrent
calls), assuming calls do use some compressed codec.

> - grnvoip still seems like the cheapest termination service - but
>   only provides SIP connection, whereas voipjet, still competitive,
>   provides only IAX2. Any recommendation here? IAX2 is supposed to
>   be less resource intensive than SIP, but I don't know if that'll
>   matter on a 64MB machine routing at most two calls.

Not really.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best