Setting up a PBX for Israel<->US communication

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Jan 31 22:18:23 IST 2009

On 31/01/2009, at 05:49, Ori Berger wrote:

> - VPSLink is still the cheapest VPS host at $8/month (or $80/year) for
>  64MB of memory. It seems like the OpenVZ package is better suited
>  than the Xen package, being less resource intensive. And from past
>  experience I would bet on Debian -- however, can anyone here share
>  their experience (Arik?). Will "apt-get install asterisk" be enough,
>  or will I have to compile everything myself?

Worse than that, asterisk will not work in an OpenVZ VE unless you
have access to the underlying host to install the zaptel kernel modules.

> Does anyone have experience, specific software versions and/or
> configuration scripts to share with regards to such a setup?

The truth is, between the cost of a VPS and termination of calls, I
would think you're better off just signing up with a voip provider.
Can you do better than $25/month for unlimited calling to the US?

(Disclaimer: I am the CTO of a US VoIP provider who offers Israeli
DIDs and calling plans as well.  Note that I am not hawking my
company's services in this email!  If you're curious what we offer,
contact me off-list.)

--sambo