mod_security "Got Root" rule updating service

Danny Lieberman dannyl at software.co.il
Tue Jul 14 22:23:17 IDT 2009

Amos,

It seems that there is no reason for you to  talk to a QSA.  This is not a
"psak halacha" but the card association rules are very clear on the Level
2-4 merchants doing self assessments as you can see for yourself on the
Masterard web site. The only factor is the volume of card
*transactions*that you do - not the PAN you store.

PII is a global/general term - which has variants in different
countries/states but in general the definition of PII is very simple - any
combination of personal information (name, id number, address, driver
license) that would enable an attacker to steal the identity of a card
holder.  PCI DSS does not relate to PII - it only relates to the card number
and the mag stripe. However - careful - most countries have privacy
regulation regarding unauthorized leakage of PII. Again - not to be confused
with PCI compliance.

In short
a) do your job right
b) stay away from QSA's - it's a racket....
c) don't keep unnecassary data in the database - that is the most effective
security countermeasure of all
d) If you have resellers who send you account numbers, try to keep them out
of your database - for example if you do an auth transaction or fraud check
- discard the account number after the fraud check and don't update any
fields in the db with the PAN. It's a PITA for the programmers but this is
the true spirit of PCI.

Danny

A compensating control would be something like encrypting a payment card
number where you had no other recourse. In your case

--
Danny Lieberman
Protect your data: http://www.software.co.il