debian lenny sudden restart

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 04:15:36 IDT 2009

1. Are you aware of ways to switch to a different virtual console
and/or cause the X server to restart - both possible from the
keyboard?
2. There are ways to "checkpoint" long running processes to disk so
they won't get lost on process or system crash.

I'm on the road at the moment so can't provide researched links (and
use a client which allows only top posting - sorry for that)

Cheers,

Amos

On 7/18/09, Shimon Panfil <info at industrialphys.com> wrote:

> Quoting Omer Zak <w1 at zak.co.il>:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 18:21 +0300, Shimon Panfil wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>> today my main box running debian lenny made sudden restart. How can I
>>> investigate what was the reason? What log should I inspect? I use UPS
>>> so the reason might be more interesting that simple power failure.
>>
>> I have a problem, which may be related.
>>
>> Usually it is not restart, but the keyboard and mouse freeze in X-Window
>> and I have to hit the Big Red Button.
>> More rarely, the X-Window subsystem spontaneously restarts.
> --skipped--
>
> It seems, you are right the actual problem is X-server crush (still do
> not understand why).
>   Xlog.0 shows:
> SetGrabKeysState - disabled
> SetGrabKeysState - enabled
> (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
> SetGrabKeysState - disabled
> SetGrabKeysState - enabled
> SetGrabKeysState - disabled
>
> Don't know what does it mean.
>
> It was first (and for sure last) time I used display manager
> so X-server crush has lead to system restart (and long calculation was
> lost).
>

> --
> Shimon Panfil: Industrial Physics and Simulations
> http://industrialphys.com

Sent from my mobile device