Looking for advice about selecting hardware for graphics and data visualization

Micha Feigin michf at post.tau.ac.il
Fri Jul 24 21:53:10 IDT 2009

Michael Tewner wrote:
> ...Or maybe Nvidia Quadro Pro? http://www.nvidia.com/page/workstation.html

I don't think that either quadro or tesla will do what the OP wants.

Tesla is for gpgpu computations only, no video output at all and it doesn't work in sli
mode to empower faster graphics. It's mostly of use for people programing cuda for hpc work.

quadro is not meant for standard run of the line visualization either. It's designed for
cad and high dynamic range rendering. It contains hardware for anti aliasing and high
dynamic range, something designed for design studios working on designes with a very large
amount of detail and and rendering farms.

They are also good for people running two cards and doing cuda both on the main video card
(quadro) and an additional card. Their main advantage as a graphic card over the geforce
is that you can put 4 of them in one box for rendering, something geforce doesn't do (I
think sli goes up to 2) but for hpc work you're better of with tesla which can also do 4
cards but at a much lower price (since there is no graphics output hardware). They are
ridiculously expensive for the standard user (can run up to the 20K something NIS range).

By the way, there was a deal on the tesla, I think until today (us time so there are still
a few hours) for 900$ a piece instead of 1400$.