LinuxMCE

Gadi Cohen dragon at wastelands.net
Fri Jun 12 10:01:46 IDT 2009

Ok, so this last came up in March 2008.  My media PC, an old system from
2001, finally bit the dust, and I've decided to take the plunge into a
proper home automation and media server, ala LinuxMCE.  My custom-built
HTPC will arrive next week sometime, and I'm going to try give the
LinuxMCE 810 alpha a shot (because I'll need support for the newer
hardware).  I've also ordered (from abroad) one of the last few LinuxMCE
remotes and a USB-UIRT device.

I'm curious to know:

1) Who else is running LinuxMCE and what your experiences have been like?

2) What resources are available online in terms of HTPC in Israel... Yes
programme guides, etc.

If this is really catching on, I'm more than happy to set up a Wiki to
consolidate resources.

My own intentions involve a step-by-step approach.  I'll first use the
system just as a basic media server, then gradually get something going
with Yes, VOIP, etc.  If the 810 alpha is too unstable, I'll just run
Ubuntu 9 on the system until this changes.  Ultimately though, I'd love
for us to crack the Yes CAM issue and do (legal) decoding on the HTPC :)

Gadi

--
Gadi Cohen aka Kinslayer <dragon at wastelands.net> www.wastelands.net
Freelance admin/coding/design HABONIM DROR linux/fantasy enthusiast