LinuxMCE

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:16:15 IDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 10:01 AM, Gadi Cohen wrote:

> Ok, so this last came up in March 2008.  My media PC, an old system
> from 2001, finally bit the dust, and I've decided to take the plunge
> into a proper home automation and media server, ala LinuxMCE.  My
> custom-built HTPC will arrive next week sometime, and I'm going to
> try give the LinuxMCE 810 alpha a shot (because I'll need support
> for the newer hardware).  I've also ordered (from abroad) one of the
> last few LinuxMCE remotes and a USB-UIRT device.

I did this a long time ago, and started with KnoppMyth. I've never
left it. If LinuxMCE works for you, please keep us up to date.

> 2) What resources are available online in terms of HTPC in Israel...
> Yes programme guides, etc.

I think they are available in in Hebrew. I was looking for English and
never found any.

> If this is really catching on, I'm more than happy to set up a Wiki
> to consolidate resources.

Good idea.

> My own intentions involve a step-by-step approach.  I'll first use
> the system just as a basic media server, then gradually get
> something going with Yes, VOIP, etc.  If the 810 alpha is too
> unstable, I'll just run Ubuntu 9 on the system until this changes.

Sorry, but IMHO, you have no idea of what pain and frustration are if
you use Ububtu for anything it really was not designed for. It's a
decent replacement for Windows if you want (only) free software, but
once you get out of the narrow focus they build and test for, nothing
works reliably. It reminds me of that line from SpaceBalls, "Even in
the future nothing works".

> Ultimately though, I'd love for us to crack the Yes CAM issue and do
> (legal) decoding on the HTPC :)

That would be tough. In the case of YES, NDS works hard to prevent
that. Some of their people are on this list. So as you tell us the
holes you are trying to exploit, they are reading and patching them. :-)

I went the other way with MythTv, I got a extra box for the MythTv
computer and controlled it with LIRC. It worked ok, but because of the
program guide issues, we decided to get a PVR from YES (YES Max) and
the MythTv box was just used as a networked file and DVD player. In
our case, which is probably different than yours, the people that
speak or read Hebrew (my kids) just watch their programs on the YES
Max, and everyone understands English well enough to get everything
else from other sources.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM