strace -e open - this got the Camera working again

Moshe Brace using Yahoo mbrace700 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 1 20:43:05 IST 2009

A quirk in the response that I get, let me explain:
When I type # LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so strace -f -e open -o skype.strace skype

Yes I get the Video, but no sound! I then find that I have to type
# alsactl restore and reboot for Skype sound WITHOUT camera left clicking on Applications--->Internet--->Skype.

I wonder whether with the # LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so strace -f -e open -o skype.strace skype

Skype can't find ALSA.

This appears to be a Chinese puzzle, do one don't get the other.
Moshe