strace -e open - this got the Camera working again

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Mar 1 22:52:59 IST 2009

On Sunday 01 March 2009 20:43:05 Moshe Brace using Yahoo wrote:
> A quirk in the response that I get, let me explain:
> When I type # LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so strace -f -e open -o
> skype.strace skype
>
> Yes I get the Video, but no sound! I then find that I have to type
> # alsactl restore and reboot for Skype sound WITHOUT camera left clicking
> on Applications--->Internet--->Skype.
>
> I wonder whether with the # LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so strace
> -f -e open -o skype.strace skype
>
> Skype can't find ALSA.
>
> This appears to be a Chinese puzzle, do one don't get the other.
> Moshe

OK. Try this:

1. Add the user "moshe" to the "video" group. You can use "drakuser" as root
to do it. It's an easy-to-use GUI.

2. As the user "moshe", run "skype" from the command line.

3. See if everything works.

4. If not, fire up the mixer, and see if you can get sound to work.

Please quote the message I sent you and report each thing whether it was
successful or not.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Freecell Solver - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)