Hebrew Under crossover

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 13:06:28 IDT 2009

> Boy, I wish this were true. First, I have found that Open Office has a very
> difficult time with mixed Hebrew and English. Second, I have found that a
> mixed Hebrew/English document created with Open Office will get messed up
> when viewed with MS Word.
>
> Have others had a different experience ?

Yes, I have had no problems since OOo 2+. What versions of OOo have
you been using? I do seem to remember that Hebrew text was indented
incorrectly once, but I do not remember that affecting me in the
recent past. I do not know if the issue was addressed or if I became
indifferent to it.

>> If you need to recieve and colaborate with MS Windows users, you have
>> two options:
>>
>> 1) Buy MS Windows and MS Office and use them. I actually like
>> Microsoft's office suit, but I hate their operating systems!
>
> I have both. I just don't want to have to boot into Windows to be able to do
> what I need to do.

I see. It still might be your best option, though. I think that VMWare
can boot an existing partition, but I've never tried it (no Windows,
not even pirated!).

>> 2) Convince your collaborators to use Open Office. This is suprisingly
>> easy, many people are willing to get rid of MS Office. Although I
>> personally prefer MS Office and use OOo out of necessity (Linux user),
>> I find that most people prefer OOo for some reason, once they see it.
>> Go figure.
>
> Sorry to say, not up to me.

I figured as much, but many people overlook this. Which is too bad, as
most people are actually thankful for the suggestion.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il