Hebrew Under crossover

Micha Feigin michf at post.tau.ac.il
Tue Mar 31 13:41:15 IDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:09:56 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Very different. Math is a complete no go, hebrew and english is a mess,
> > mixed hebrew/english documents and numbers are rarely imported properly,
> > enumerations are messed up completely and changing the document language to
> > hebrew to match the original permutes tab aligned ellements
> >

> Are you talking about documents created with Word then opened in OOo,
> or documents created in OOo then opened in Word. With the former I
> understand your point, but for the later I have had no problems (I
> have not tried math).

Documents writen in word and opened in OOo are horendous (I can usually read
them but I can't work with them), documents writen in OOo and opened in office
are better (haven't tested math lately) but still require a lot of tweeking.
They can't be transfered as is.

> > Tried using personally but sad to say it's incredibly unstable in terms of
> > styles and I still haven't managed to find out how to change the
> > headers/footers mid way through the document, something that is very easy with
> > word.
> >
> > On the other hand I'm using lyx almost exclusively so who am I to talk ...
> >

> I tried to get into Lyx but I had a hard time with Hebrew, davka (what
> is "davka" in English).

It works quite well, I work with it all the time in hebrew writing execises.
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Hebrew
Gives pretty good instructions. You need to install hebrew for latex and you
can find the culmus package for linux with some google.