why ubuntu increases interface name of network card eth ( ASAP !!!0

Shay Ohayon shay at shayohayon.net
Mon May 11 16:00:44 IDT 2009

This might not be exactly your problem, but it has a similar solution:

Note the second post, workaround, I quote:

Add this line to /etc/udev/70-persistent-net.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="forcedeth*", NAME="eth0"

And remove all other lines.

Note that this might make a conflict in some way if there are more
than one network interface that utilies the forcedeth driver. In that
case it may be possible to separate them using the PCI address. Not
tested that.

To get the MAC-address not changing I have the following configuration
in /etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0 static
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.3
hwaddress ether 00:e0:4c:12:34:56

It is the hwaddress ether that is important.

If you want to use DHCP this would work (not tested):
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
hwaddress ether 00:e0:4c:12:34:56

Bear in mind what the writed said, it might be problematic on a
machine with multiple NICs.

Best of luck,
shay