Linux SBC recommendations

Guy Corem guy at nop90.com
Sun May 24 09:21:59 IDT 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 9:13 AM, geoffrey mendelson <
geoffreymendelson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 24, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Guy Corem wrote:
>

>> I don't really care regarding the form factor and electric power.
>> On second thought: preferably small with integrated power supply...
>>
>> Regarding processing power:
>> My goal is to create a demo / POC of 3G to WiFi router.
>>

> Before you waste your time and money, there are some on the market. It
> would behoove you
> to develop a competitive anlysis and perform an exhaustive patent search.
>  I forget the name,
> but when I asked about it on this list, someone pointed me to one sold in
> Israel.
>
> So not only are you not the first one to publicly ask, which kills patent
> priority, you are not the first to actually do it, which IMHO makes it not
> worth it unless you want to do it for fun or pro-bono (for the public good).

All the above is irrelevant to my question.
Indeed there are many (>10) 3g wifi routers in the market. Even Cisco has 3g
module to one of it's router.
So?

>  I'll need to install two or three 3G modems on the USB ports.
>> I've managed to use Sierre Wireless Compass 885  on Ubuntu 9.04 without
>> any problems, so it will be nice if the SBC could support Ubuntu.
>>

> Wow, something that actually runs on Ubuntu. :-) Last night I had to remove
> and re-install X
> because one of my Ubuntu systems decided it no longer supported my video
> card and monitor.
>
>  I forgot Ethernet (preferably 1 GbE) in the original requirements list.
>>

> I would start out looking at WiFi routers. EDIMAX makes one that has
> 802.11g, 2 USB ports, is ARM based, 2 ethernet ports (one with a 4 port
> hub), small and runs on a five volt single supply. BUG has them on their
> website for under 300 NIS.
>
> If it runs Linux (many EDIMAX products do), you  have exactly what you need
> for a POC.
> If it doesn't you would have to go beyond just looking at a few local
> store's websites.

Don't want to waste time on RE Edimax hardware and tailor a BSP for it.
If it's done in the past, and it's open source, I might consider it.