"binks" when using newer kerels

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Sat May 30 13:03:57 IDT 2009

On 30.05.2009 Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> Oron Peled <oron at actcom.co.il> writes:
> > Fedora 10, HP DV-4000, with Intel-915GM (I think, it's not in front
> > of me now).

Please note this computer is 3+ years old...

> Hmm... I am typing this on Fedora 10, Lenovo X200, with Intel 915
> (well, lspci says
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
> Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

Probably a different chipset or different chipset revision. I'll check
my exact spec tomorrow.

> and the i915 module is loaded, Xorg loads "intel" driver, so I gather
> it *is* actually Intel 915)

No necessarily. The same driver support a very wide range of chipsets.

> and I do not experience any "blinks" or
> "flicker" or anything unusual.

Great. I didn't have neither until some 5 months ago. Hope to loose
them in a month or two.

> What am I doing wrong? ;-)

Making our laptops look miserable comparing to yours ;-)

> Well, I've had this computer for maybe 3 months, so maybe I have only
> used fairly recent SW...

My box is always fully yum updated. Your "problem" is that you
used fairly recent HW...

Cheers,

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
Linux is like a wigwam: No windows, no gates, Apache inside!