Power management woes [Was: "binks" when using newer kerels]

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Sat May 30 21:55:00 IDT 2009

Oron Peled <oron at actcom.co.il> writes:

>> What am I doing wrong? ;-)
>
> Making our laptops look miserable comparing to yours ;-)

To sweep this totally unwarranted accusation away once and for all,
here is my problem that maybe someone can help me with: I am probably
doing something wrong with power management.

When I unplug the laptop (Lenovo X200, fully yum-updated Fedora 10,
KDE, etc., etc.) I expect it to continue working. Audacity of hope,
bla-bla. Instead, after a few seconds it suspends itself (KDE kicker
actually pops up a little black balloon saying "click me if you want
to prevent suspending the system" - or words to that effect - but
clicking it doesn't do anything useful). I need to unsuspend it
(Fn-F4), and it starts again, but with network disabled. I actually
need to "sudo service network restart" and then to reconnect to the
WiFi (the laptops default connection), and then everything seems to be
fine.

I tried to go over the KDE power management configuration screens (in
what used to be called Kontrol Center) but every setting there looks
reasonable to me.

Any ideas? It's a minor annoyance but I'll be glad to be rid of it.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org