OT: Where does it count?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Fri Oct 23 07:39:37 IST 2009

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> My question is simple: When does the "developer" experience starts
> ticking? (I'm not talking about any specific language here). Do the
> years of writing those small programs/scripts count as a "developer
> years"? or does the clock starts ticking when I'm a full time programmer?

Partiality of occupation is hardly a factor, but experience is. I don't
have the link, (I think it was on slashdot a while back), but someone
once claimed that the difference between a programmer with greatness
potential and actual great programmers is X hours of experience (I don't
remember what X was, but it translated to about 3 or 5 years of full
time job experience). The article claimed that the same X applies to
other areas too (the article used the Beatles as a primary example).

My point is that in order to realize your potential in any field, you
need to invest a huge amount of time practicing it. This is almost
impossible to do unless you make it your full time occupation. From
personal experience, I think the article's quoted X may even be a little
on the low side.

So, if you did mostly system tasks, but did about 10% development, you
will see how, for practical reasons, that leaves very little of your
actual development experience.

I should point out that the article talks about greatness. Assuming you
have the potential to become a great programmer, this is a requirement
for becoming great actually happening. Personally, I pride myself on
seeing programmers, in certain cases total novices, and saying to myself
"he has the potential". They are not great programmers, but you can see
that with enough experience, they will be. That said, even those that do
not possess the potential for "greatness" advance significantly with
experience. At a guesstimate, about 60% of the population can become
acceptable quality programmers given enough experience (of course,
initially they will suck) and a supporting environment ("supporting"
includes not accepting mediocre). Of course, most of those will quit,
because programming is a horrid job to do if you don't like it, but this
is just to point you as to why

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh