moving from ADSL to HOT

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:43:30 IDT 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 6:21 PM, shlomo solomon wrote:

> This has been discussed before, but not recently and things do
> change over
> time. So, I'd like to hear opinions.

I've have both, a 2.5m aDSL line and a 5m HOT line. The aDSL line uses
012 as my ISP, the HOT line as Netvision.
I really can't seperate them, but from what I have observed is that
the aDSL line is more reliable. Outages occur more often on it than
the cable line, but they fix themselves much faster. Rarely has the
line been down longer than the time it takes me to go over to the
router and reboot it.

HOT on the other hand has been down less often, but it takes much
longer to get fixed. Sometimes there have been neighborhood wide (or
wider) outages lasting several hours.

When I got the 5m line from HOT, I had to go through their "business
office", which meant higher prices, but better service. When the line
went out to my building, my next door neighbor called on Saturday
night and was told that they would be out on Tuesday. I called 8:30
Sunday morning, 8:45 a tech called me, came here by 9 and spent an
hour and a half in the rain. A later time I had problems, they were
out in less than 2 hours.

If you use VoIP, note that sometimes you can send faxes via VoIP on an
aDSL line, never on a HOT "line". (not related to a HOT voice line).

> In the distant past, I remember having to play with login scripts,
> pptp, NAT
> and so on to connect the rest of my computers. But since getting the
> router a
> few years ago, everything is automatic. I don't really want to go
> back to
> having to configure everything manually.

I use a wired only EdiMax router I bought for 130 NIS at BUG. It's
been rock solid.

I'd wait for BEZEQ's NGN before deciding.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendelson at gmail.com