recomendation for an Israely registrar and web hosting

Micha michf at post.tau.ac.il
Sun Apr 25 20:39:27 IDT 2010

On 25/04/10 08:59, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
> (Disclosure: I work at Hostdime)
>
> Micha, as for registrar, all of them are more or less the same here in
> Israel, they all dealing with ISOC and the differences is the price you pay.

Thanks, I just recalled someone talking about checking availability and a day
later the site was taken, which is what I'm afraid of.

So you are saying that everyone at
http://www.isoc.org.il/domain_heb/registration.html
is ok?

As for cost, they all seem the same price (80 NIS a year)

It's not an Israely one, but I heard some horror stories regarding goDaddy for
example (freezing domain names, etc.)

> As for basic web hosting, it really depends on few parameters:
>
>     * Do you want to host it in a shared hosting? VPS? dedicated server?
>     * Does your code/content requires heavy cpu/network/disk usage, if
>       (and when) it's being accessed?
>     * Does it matters where it is located? (Israel, USA, Europe etc...)
>     * Is backup service important to you?
>     * Do you require any specific PHP modules/Java (server side) or any
>       other external libraries which needs to be installed system wide?
>     * How much are you willing to pay?
>
> IMHO you should take these points, think about them, and then look for a
> hosting solution.

I'm looking to setup a basic site for my wife for a small business.
it will probably be mostly html, maybe some php to allow her to change some
aspects without going into html (basic dynamic content creation based on file in
the directory or simple inclusion / processing of text files).

No need to collect data, backup, etc. Possibly only mail support to setup a
contact me page.

I would be happy if it will be high volume since it would say a lot of potential
customers, but I'm guessing pretty low traffic.

Would prefer something relatively cheep as a start to see how things pick up.
Once there is some cache inflow, it's easier to justify cache outflow ...