Try reproducing Firefox Bug No. 611511

Yedidyah Bar-David linux-il at didi.bardavid.org
Wed Dec 1 13:19:20 IST 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:44:00AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi Yedidyah,
>
> On Wednesday 01 December 2010 10:08:16 Yedidyah Bar-David wrote:
> > 5. Since I do not know how, if at all, you can make firefox, and most
> > other clients, use normal Passive mode and not Extended, the simplest
> > workaround seems to me, for now, to be to use http. Any specific reason
> > for using ftp in this case?
>
> Well, for a time, I had horrible download speeds when downloading using
> http:// from http://mirror.isoc.org.il/ and it was better at using ftp:// so
> that's what I used.

It was probably due to changes we did to our filtering and related stuff.
Please try http and tell us if you have a problem.

> > 6. I have no idea what caused it to start happening a few days ago. We
> > did not change anything on our side, as far as I know. Perhaps firefox
> > changed its behaviour on a version you recently updated to. I definitely
> > see in the logs such behaviour many months ago.
>
> Well, I said "a few days ago" back at the bug report, which was reported at
> 11-Nov-2010 (about three weeks ago).

"many months" means more than one. I checked again and see that it seems
to start being used around 2009-08. ftp does not report a "User Agent".
Based on the files downloaded, it seems it was incorporated to opensuse's
update mechanism (yum? forgive my ignorance), with others following, and
firefox probably did this too now. Well, I guess we'll somehow have to make
this work, one way or another. For the time being, please use http if you
have problems with your ftp client, and tell us if you have problems.
If you have or know about an important client that supports only ftp,
and which moved or is expected to move soon to EPSV, please tell us, so
we'll consider this more urgent.

Regards,
--
Didi