OT: Bezek via netvision

Alex Shnitman alexta69 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 16:21:05 IST 2010

Hi,

I'm using this service. If your infrastructure (HOT/ADSL) is reliable, it works pretty reliably as well.

They give you the AudioCodes MP202 adapter, as someone has already mentioned. One thing to note is that they put this adapter in front of your PC / router (i.e. it connects to the modem, and the router connects to it), and it takes your public IP to itself and performs NAT. They don't give you the password for the administrator account on the device so basically you lose your public IP, for what it's worth. This is absolutely ludicrous, to me. They set it up in DMZ mode so that incoming connections are forwarded to your router / PC, but if your internal IP changes for some reason, you need to bug them to reconfigure their box. If you have anything at all that requires a public IP anyway (dynamic DNS?), you're out of luck.

Another thing is that they set up traffic shaping on this box so that the VOIP calls are not affected by heavy traffic, and the speed degradation is quite noticeable.

Bottom line, the calls are cheap, but it screws with your Internet connection in various ways, and it's basically only as reliable as your connection -- and let me tell you that you don't realize how unreliable Internet infrastructure is here until you put your phone on it.

If I were offered this deal now I wouldn't go for it.

--Alex