Assigning keys to Copy (ctrl-x) and Paste (ctrl-v)

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:19:46 IDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 13:14, Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> I prefer using xkb to define my keyboard mappings (though I still far from
> understand it fully). To do what you want in xkb you would lines similar to:
>
>        key <I166> { [XF86Copy ] };
>        key <I167> { [XF86Past ] };
>
> to your .xkbmap file that you can then load through:
>
>     xkbcomp ~/.xkbmap :0
>
> Making your programs recognize XF86Copy and XF86Past is another problem that
> you still have to deal with.
>
> Good luck!
> Dov

Thanks, Dov. Unfortunately I got this error:
✈dcl:~$ xkbcomp ~/.xkbmap :0
syntax error: line 1 of /home/dotancohen/.xkbmap
Errors encountered in /home/dotancohen/.xkbmap; not compiled.
✈dcl:~$ cat .xkbmap
key <I166> { [XF86Copy ] };
key <I167> { [XF86Paste ] };
✈dcl:~$

Maybe the <I166> and <I167> values are not legal, and I cannot figure
out how to translate them to a legal value. I tried converting to
hexadecimal as examples online show values like this:<AE01> however
the hex equivalent of 166 is <0016> and that had the same issue. Any
ideas?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen