Common problems with Ubuntu

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 19:56:32 IDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 00:31 +0300, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> Some random links about the topic of MS security I ran into, and
> reminded me of this discussion:
> Marc Maffier (cofounder of eEye) on Windows security
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20002317-245.html
> "Now when you look at Microsoft today they do more to secure their
> software than anyone. They're the model for how to do it. They're not
> perfect; there's room for improvement. But they are definitely doing
> more than anybody else in the industry, I would say."
> "And you think Apple is taking it seriously too now?
> Maiffret: Oh yeah. It's even a little scarier with them because they
> try to market themselves as more secure than the PC, that you don't
> have to worry about viruses, etc. Anytime there's been a hacking
> contest, within a few hours someone's found a new Apple vulnerability.
> If they were taking it seriously, they wouldn't claim to be more
> secure than Microsoft because they are very much not."
>
> Cisco on using MS SDL development process to secure their code
> http://blogs.cisco.com/security/comments/the_cisco_secure_development_lifecycle_an_overview/
> "Microsoft has also been a valuable partner as both a model for SDL
> and also as a sounding board for Cisco as we developed and adapted
> their concepts to meet the unique attributes of our development
> environment and needs."

Would it be possible to end this thread?
Granted, I was one of the first participants, but it more-than-obvious
that Linux-IL'ers won't persuade you that MS is far from being secure,
and it's equally unlikely that by posting random links you'll persuade
Linux-IL'ers that MS is the new "white", making this sub-thread
redundant at best.

- Gilboa