platform for number crunching

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:16:52 IDT 2010

Hi Shimon

1. I have a feeling you will anyway need to improve the fans/replace the box
to a larger one (much more effective than air conditioning).

2. I suggest asking in gamers forums, those who overclock their machines.
However, the first thing they do is open the box's sides (for better air
flow) and get a stronger fan.

3. Check the thermal control. You may wish to enable some thermal control
options for the processor you already have. Alternatively, sometimes the
thermal capping ("stop if you get too hot") is not well adjusted, and the
CPU shuts down when it can actually work in these temperatures (40 something
should work fine). Had this problem around the year 2000 with AMD 1300MHz
processors, and bios updating solved the problem.

Orna

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Shimon Panfil <info at industrialphys.com>wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I'm looking for affordable workstation for heavy number crunching, not
> x86-64 multicore. It seems that multicore systems have problems with cooling
> (physically it is pretty clear). My current amd-64 4-core machine works fine
> only if less than 2 cores have 100% load. Rougly 2*100 work 20 min before
> temperature becomes high, 4*100 can last couple of minuts only. Last year I
> have already burned  processor and do not want repeat the experience.
>
> I'll be glad to know my options other than open the box and add fans or set
> air conditioner in my working place to very low temperature.
>
> --
> Shimon Panfil: Industrial Physics and Simulations
> http://industrialphys.com

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.
http://ladypine.org