platform for number crunching

shimi linux-il at shimi.net
Wed Jun 16 15:35:01 IDT 2010

Just get a well cooled case. Opening the case is NOT a good idea. The
Airflow will not be as good as a well planned computer case that is designed
for a good air flow, plus you enjoy all the dust into your computer (dust
also disturbs proper airflow).

If money is not an issue (and I really mean not an issue :)), you can get a
setup like mine:

Antec Twleve Hundred case (review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3MNAQLuIQ ) . Note that it comes without a
PSU.

or one of its smaller brothers for a lower price, but of the same type (the
"Nine Hundred" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-igk9kT2P8 -  for example)
- especially note that the PSU location there is at the bottom and there's
an exhaust at the top instead.

And for dissipiating the heat from your CPU: A cooler from Noctua. I opted
for a one that can work without a fan (heatsink only - because whatever does
not rotate cannot break...) and had no issues when doing big compilations
(kernel/kde etc) . The cooler actually came with 2 fans (push/pull
configuration) but they can be removed because the heatsink was good enough.
If the small noise is not an issue, you might want to get something like
this: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=35&lng=en

The question is if all that is considered 'affordable' to you ;-)

HTH,

-- Shimi