Hebrew problem - ripping CDs

Ori Berger linux-il at orib.net
Mon Jun 28 01:34:00 IDT 2010

Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> I've been using k3b to rip my collection of CDs and I noticed that on some CDs
> the Hebrew file names are recognized and on others not. I assume that Hebrew,
> encoding, fonts etc are properley set up. Otherwise, it wouldn't work on some
> CDs. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem in CDDB or the specific CD and if
> there's a way to fix it (other than manually re-naming each file)?
>
> BTW - I tried GRIP and had the same problem.

Some of the Hebrew albums in CDDB are stored in CP-1255 (Windows Hebrew
Codepage) and some in UTF-8. As far as I know it doesn't say anywhere
inside CDDB how it is stored, so if it doesn't work with one, it should
work with the other (you have a place to specify that inside grip in the
DB tab; have no idea about k3b). While it's possible to write a program
that will detect this automatically with very high probability, I don't
know of one that exists.

Same problem exists for other non-English albums, btw: some are stored
in CP-1252, and some in UTF-8; if you have a bjork CD you might have a
problem getting the umlaut (two dots above the o) to show with the wrong
encoding.

Ori