XMoveWindow()

Erez D erez0001 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:52:33 IST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Nadav Har'El <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010, Erez D wrote about "Re: XMoveWindow()":
> > > when i move the window to pos(x,y) using XMoveWindow(), it moves but
> > > positions the WM's window (e.g. the titlebar topleft)  at (x,y) instead
> of
> > > my window.
>
> What you're doing is the right thing. XMoveWindow() doesn't actually do
> anything, it just sends a ConfigureRequest event to the parent, namely the
> window manager, which actually does the move, but this is how it's supposed
> to be.
>
> Can you explain why what you're seeing is a bad thing? E.g., when a user
> does
> "xterm -geometry +0+0", he usually would like the new window *including*
> whatever titlebar it has to start on the top-left corner. I don't see any
> reason why the coordinates you give should not include the titlebar...
>
> > I care about the position and size of the client area, not the gross
> window.
> > Now it depends on which wm i use, or if i use one at all.
>
> Who is "I" here? An ordinary user doesn't even know that there is "the
> client
> area" and the "gross winodw" - all he sees is one square and wants to
> control
> its location; If he chooses location +0+0 (top-left corner), he probably
> wants
> the top-left of the titlebar to be there, not the "client area" (which
> would
> mean that the titlebar would be outside the visible area of the screen).
>
> If "I" is some computer program who wants to play tricks with window
> locations,
> then please don't. Window location is for the user to control, not
> automatic
> programs. I *HATE* it when programs thinks they know me and automatically
> start in, say, the bottom left corner of the screen. This could be an
> option (traditionally, -geometry) but should not be automatic - if anybody
> should automate the window placement it should be the window manager, not
> individual applications.
>

> when i write a program, i expect to get the same behaviour which doesn't
depend on the WM.
however: Traditional window managers reparent the window, and add the
titlebar to the parent.
compize on the other hand doesn't reparent the window, so the behaviour is
different.

i woudld expext the folowing line:
XTranslateCoordinates(...,win,root,0,0, &x, &y, ...) ; XMoveWIndow(win,x,y)
to do nothing.

however, it does move the window, by the size of the titlebar ...