cross-platform bare metal remote restore system?

Ira Abramov Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org
Wed Mar 10 15:11:18 IST 2010

Howdie people!

Got a client that needs a test environment where the disk on one
specific server (maybe more in the future?) are wiped clean once in a
while (so the performance tests always start at the same state). They
want the same machine to be at alternate times installed with one of
several images, Windows and Linux. Naturally I prefer to skip
proprietary solutions and go to open.

One of the requiremnets is that the data is only wiped on one of the two
disks in the machine, or preferably just a single partition (the OS).

Stored images can go to the other disk, or a remote server. Naturally I
prefer a remote server because then I'll be able to use it for other
one-shot installs as well (such as virtual machines, or just future
bare-metals)

On the short list are:
* OpenQRM (an overkill, and I think avoiding full wipe is not easy)
* G4L (I know nothing about it)
* Partimage/PING (donno it, and it seems unmaintained)
* Clonezilla (seems like the best candidate ATM)
* FOG (aka freeghost - seems pretty good as well)

So... before I sink my teeth in, I'd love any recommendations or
warnings that will save me time. If you have interesting horror stories
that go with the warnings, that's even better :-)

Thanks,
Ira.

--
Dumb as they come