cross-platform bare metal remote restore system?

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:21:51 IST 2010

When my parent's windows machine occasionally became too slow (as
most undermaintained windows machine does). I tried to ease the situation
like so:
I divided the windows into a minimal C:\ partition which contained the
windows directory, a d:\ which contained the rest of the data (program
files, documents and settings, etc), a hidden parition /dev/hda3 which
contained copy of the c:\ partition, and finally a small linux partition.
I hacked up a script that would once every X boots up the linux partition
that would recover the c:\ partition from the hidden partition.
That way, every once in a while the users would "feel" as if their windows
was reinstalled (a known cure for many windows diseases.

This didn't work out eventually, since some windows program assumed Program
Files is on C:\, without checking the registry, and behaved strangely.

I used partimage for this job, and was generally content. I don't recall a
single data corruption. Of course this is highly inaccurate estimation, so
use with caution.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Ira Abramov <Lists-Linux-IL at ira.abramov.org