Where to learn Linux?

Elazar Leibovich elazarl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 17:24:27 IST 2010

Well, it depends.
State on CLI is not necessarily much more availible.
For example, when looking at a vim window, it is not immediately clear
whether you're at: (1) vim edit mode, (2) vim regular mode (3) selecting
something with screen, where your keyboard are now not even sent to the vim
window.
I think it's more a matter of training. I'm a trained vim user, so I can see
immediately through the subltle hints (cursor shape, etc.) which state am I
in. And nevertheless, I find myself many times typing Ctrl+[ to reset the
state, since it's faster for me to reset the state, than to figure out
whether or not I'm in text mode.
OTOH I use at work the windows environment alot. And I found myself
launching programs with launchy (no state needed here! In CLI I need to
remember where would Ctrl+3 lead me, and whether or not I can exit the
programs there. In windows there's no state, all the apps are Alt+Space
away. Always), using the Winkey+Number to navigate between programs (again,
no state in here, Winkey+3 gives the third app you launched, whereever you
are).
Keyboard friendly programs also gives me a similar stateless feel. For
instance, eclipse has the F12 key to bounce me back to the editor from many
states (and all common states), and have Ctrl+3 to search for a specific
command.

My main problem with GUI interfaces is their relative sluggishness/resource
usage.  A similar criticism was directed to emacs when computers were
slower. I hope Moore's law would be able to handle it eventually.