Fedora - o for thirteen

Nadav Har'El nyh at math.technion.ac.il
Wed May 26 11:39:36 IDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote about "Re: Fedora - o for thirteen":
> Few months ago I upgraded my EEE to Fedora 12 from Fedora 11 and I used the
> preupgrade. It worked like a charm without any issues.

I'm glad to hear it works for someone :-)

> IIRC, the problems that you describe are coming from external repositories
> which are not always up to date (for example: rpmfusion takes few days until
> it's updated with all the external RPM modules. I had the "pleasure" of
> upgrading kernel and finding myself out of luck with my wifi card since the
> RPM for my wifi was not updated to the latest kernel from Fedora).

Only in one case did I have a similar problem - when Fedora had a new nvidia
driver but I wanted to use one from an external repository. In all other
cases, the problems were unfortunately Redhat's own...

For example, the problem this time was that after all the new packages were
installed, the installer was "finishing the upgrade" (probably running post-
install scripts) and then suddely popped up a message saying that the script
for "Nethack" failed and this might mean I have a bad installation media (!!).
Instead of failing gracefully, and perhaps screwing up Nethack and succeeding
in everything else, it proceeded to reboot (after telling me that this is what
it would do). When the system came up, the kernel did not function. When I
ran an older kernel (which thankfully was saved), the system came up but then
I noticed that I had every package twice! Apparently, the installer never
got around to deleting the old packages. Thankfully, a utility exists to fix
this issue (package-cleanups --cleandupes) so I managed to fix it. I then
uninstalled the kernel and "yum update"d to get it installed properly.

The thing is that in every upgrade, I get a similar experience. Sometimes the
failures are less spectacular, and the system does work, but certain
applications stop working. E.g., one time a server machine I upgraded came
up, but bugzilla (which was an important application on that machine) did not
because it forgot to install some dependencies.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |    Wednesday, May 26 2010, 13 Sivan 5770