[SOLVED] Re: Bad Hebrew font when using Deja Vu Sans Mono 11 in Konsole/KMail

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sat Nov 27 13:12:33 IST 2010

Hi all,

On Saturday 27 November 2010 12:29:33 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting a bad Hebrew font (mostly unreadable with many embellishments)
> in KMail or Konsole after I configured it to use the Deja Vu Sans Mono 10
> font. Here's an example: http://imgur.com/T1v8M .
>
> As one can see, the "Shalom Olam" in Hebrew is written with these
> embellished chracters, while the English characters, and the file ending
> with .mp3 which is coloured are fine.
>
> I tried it in a new UNIX user account and it's fine there, so it's a
> configuration problem in my user.
>
> Can anyone shed some light about this problem? Which configuration files
> should I check?

Replying to myself, I'd like to note that I solved the problem by moving away
my ~/.fonts.conf file, which read:

[text]
<?xml version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
   <const>hintmedium</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>
[/text]

Don't know what happened that it suddenly made such a problem, but right now
the font in KMail and Konsole is much more usable.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish